Over the summer, i fell back in love with watching television again. I have been off watching television because so many of them you have to keep up constantly especially the dramas like Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice. And at some point in my life, the time just wasn’t there. And then i discovered Netflix recently and have been back in love with TV series again…and oh it feels so good. Netflix is definitely a genius invention (i know i am late to the admiration of Netflix but it’s never too late to love and praise a good thing) because it allows you to watch a seasons worth of episodes in a few days or week versus the usual three to six months every single week. I just didn’t have that luxury.
Currently, these are the series i have been obsessing over during the summer break:
1. The Orange is the New Black…such a good show. The characters, their stories, their friendships, their struggles, their challenges, the raunchy scenes, the laughter, Crazy Eyes/Suzanne…i love them all. It definitely makes me appreciate the struggle of women who are incarcerated. The writers are so talented to turn such a hard topic into a show that is so relateable.
2. Prison Wives…and of course the beauty of Netflix…once you watch one show it recommends other shows in the same genre. This show just totally fascinated me. The fact that some of these wives will never have any kind of personal contact with their husbands outside of thirty minutes to several hours. And being married to a man for over thirteen years without any conjugal visits. The emotional connections were just amazing to watch. I was trying not to clinically analyze the wives/man and in the end, i came away with sometimes your heart just loves who it loves and there is not much you can do about them. I do have to be honest that some of the women/man…i thought had some unresolved emotional issues that would lead them to marry someone who is incarcerated for life without parole. But a fascinating show.
3. Scandal–i can’t say enough about HOW GOOD THIS SHOW IS. Seriously, the writing, the acting, the characters, the storylines, the fashion….everything is just amazing about Scandal. I watched the last season in like two days…i was a little obsessed because that was a lot of television time. I can’t wait to see where they take the storyline next.
4. Marriage Bootcamp: Bridezilla…i haven’t watched Bridezilla in a long time but i was intrigued to watch this show and i am glad i watched it. Not for the crazy antics but the show makes you realize that marriages are worth working on whether you’ve been married for a few months or years. There are lots of stress factors in our daily lives that can make us neglect our marriages and it’s important to take time to work on them. I really enjoyed most of the therapeutic techniques they used throughout the series.
5. Married at First Sight–this show is not on Netflix but on FYI and it’s such an interesting show. I want to talk more about it in another post but basically these three couples get matched up by experts and without seeing each other get married for six weeks and must decide after this time whether to remain married or not. It’s so fascinating…probably more than Prison Wives but without all the clinical assessment i was doing. Anyway, if you haven’t seen it, i would highly recommend it. It’s a fantastic social experiment on human behaviors/society/ideas about marriage, etc.
These are the shows that i currently have been watching and it’s all been good and interesting in different ways. With Netflix…i am no longer stressing about missing a show. Now only if they would get Gilmore Girls on there…i so want to watch that show….heard so many good things about it years ago.
Question of the Day: What shows are you currently watching? On TV or Nextflix?